As a Technical Designer you will use your advanced technical design skills to interpret creative design concepts into the development of sample prototypes that can be mass produced through accurate product specification. You will work with design leadership and partner teams to ensure construction feasibility to meet price points and merchandising needs in accordance to the Timing & Action Calendar deadlines. You will have proven your ability to evaluate and provide feedback to achieve the ideal technical fit for the brand, gender and product categories assigned to obtain this position. You will conduct competitive product analysis by gathering and compiling competitor information and present your findings as well as be responsible to follow up on outcomes to this analysis. You must be able to visually & digitally review and analyze color in a Merchandised point of view. You will need to be able to liaison with key partner teams in Technical Design, Brand, Sourcing, QA, Country Mgrs. and Graphics. This opportunity involves maintaining deep understanding of current fit and construction trends through travel, research & interaction with sales reps, their customers and the end users. In addition, participation in activities that will increase understanding and working knowledge of market is obligatory.
- Proven ability to apply technical design skills such as flat sketching, flat patterning, and garment construction. Proven ability to generate tech pack in PDM system. Solid ability to adjust specs and shape based on fabrication; usually in the scope of your assigned area.
- Demonstrated acumen and considered an internal expert for assigned product. Proven ability to develop specs with defined sketches, block reference, grade rules, and construction details to create accurate prototypes within accordance of the Timing & Action Calendar. Able to identify fit trends and translate into market right product.
- Responsible to collaboratively brainstorm & execute ideas for Trend Presentation, Customer Visits, Fashion Show, Sales Meeting, Special Projects, etc…
- Ability to understand needs of Partner Teams and react accordingly. Able to identify, elevate & provide solution options to challenges.
- Ability to identify & resolve opportunities within the organization for improvement. Able to take on extra workload to ease burden of entire team.
- Domestic travel for retail fit trends, maintain awareness of competitive landscape, see product in use at market and attend seminars as needed. Responsible to present findings to the team. International travel on an as needed basis.
- Travel and research to maintain awareness of how technology effects the market and ability to execute job. Technology is looked at both in terms of product innovation (like garment construction) as well as software & tools to facilitate workload (as in patterning software or video conferencing).
- Ability to maintain working area, samples, and tools in a way that is easily accessed by other team members and self.
- Ability to view, analyze and communicate color cast, hue and saturation level. Must be able to produce a well merchandised color pallet in store.
- Four year degree in Apparel / Fashion Design and two years’ experience in Technical Design or pattern making
- Associates degree with an emphasis in Technical Design and four years’ experience in Technical Design or pattern making
- Ability to interpret creative design concepts into prototypes across brands and genders
- Proficient skills with Microsoft Office, AI, Photoshop, and basic computer skills
- Must pass color test at expert level